75 percent of accidents that occur on daily basis on Nigerian roads are caused by impatience. Impatience is the number one cause of road accidents, which brings this up as a major concern. Many Nigerians suffer from Anxiety Disorder Syndrome (ADS) a form of psychological condition which commonly expresses itself in form of impatience. There is nothing to be ashamed of when suffering from this, it’s a very common condition suffered by many people in our fast pacing world today. So how do we manage this?
First and foremost, you have to ask yourself the question, Do I have ADS? Below are symptoms of ADS.
- You find yourself feeling more frustrated and annoyed than normal.
- It can also seem as if your patience runs out more quickly.
- It can also seem like you are disappointed more quickly and more often than normal.
- Even what would normally be considered minor issues now make you highly upset, annoyed, and angry.
- It feels like you are overly quick to react.
- It seems like you are more easily disappointed.
- You find your frustration is like a hair-trigger, with any little irritant setting you off.
- It seems like people frustrate you much more than normal.
- It seems things upset you more than normal.
- It seems like everything is much more frustrating than normal.
Causes of ADS The major cause of ADS is stress. Many people dwelling in metropolitan areas like big cities are largely exposed to this. Work and movement is so fast pacing that some people find it hard to cope, this results to stress build up which mounts to both psychological and physical breakdown. Anxiety is another cause of ADS, this results to a heightened sense of urgency which can cause individuals to get upset if others aren’t living up to their expectations of doing things more quickly. This cause the individual to become more easily frustrated.
Solution to ADS Taking frequent rest and relaxation breaks, as well as getting good sleep, can help reduce irritability, impatience, and frustration. Listening to light music can also help to calm your nerves. The following recording is called Anchoring and a good relaxation remedy for dealing with stress and anxiety. Click on this link to play/download:
Lastly, it can also help to let friends and family members know you are having some difficulty with anxiety-related frustration and that you are working on it. Sometimes an apology and this understanding alone can help others better understand what you are dealing with, which can make your situation easier. Don’t quickly get upset with other drivers on the road they could be suffering from ADS too.
Good tip. I have a colleague who flares up at the slightest delay of a car in front of him. I’ll send him this link. Thanks for the tip.
Una dey hear?!!
It’s good to know the cause of impatience. Understanding this will help drivers to tolerate each others on the road.